Ottawa Research and Development Centre Open House with Ottawa Bug Day
September 9, 2017
9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Come out to the Central Experimental Farm for two all-ages events – both with free admission and parking.
The Ottawa Research and Development Centre (ORDC) is hosting an open house from 9am to 4pm. Step inside the research greenhouses, meet some of the scientists, see displays of their work, and ask questions about the latest in agricultural research.
- Enjoy a horse-drawn wagon ride around the farm’s outdoor research fields,
- Watch horse-drawn ploughing matches,
- Take a tour of the Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC) National Collection of Vascular Plants
- See research displays with posters, scientific instruments and materials, and talk to scientists about their research,
- Speak with experts and view specimens from Canada’s world famous National Collection of Insects, Arachnids and Nematodes,
- Enjoy the specially planted wild pollinator garden and get tips for attracting them to your garden at home,
- See the beautifully restored tropical greenhouse with its colourful plantings.
In addition, last year’s popular Ottawa Bug Day, organized by the Entomological Society of Ontario, returns from 9am to 4pm in the K.W. Neatby Building, 960 Carling Avenue.
- Interact with creepy crawlies in the live insect zoo,
- Enjoy aquatic insects displays,
- Get tips on how to start your own bug collection,
- Go on a bug collecting expedition,
- Experience some insect cuisine, and
- Bet on your favourite to win in the always unpredictable cockroach races.
Visitors are encouraged to bring in interesting insects and let the knowledgeable team of bug experts identify them!
The ORDC open house and Ottawa Bug Day and are great ways to experience some of the fantastic research work being done at the Central Experimental Farm. Please join us!
960 Carling Avenue
As one of the country’s original departments, AAFC is celebrating 150 years of service to Canadians. For more information, visit: Agriculture 150.
- Date modified: